Hellifield Parish Council

Page
Menu
News

Local History

   Ye olde ancient hamlet of Helgeflet...........
 
In the Domesday Book Hellifield is mentioned as Helgeflet; meaning 'Holy Marsh or Stream', translated from Anglo-Saxon. The village could have been dedicated to the Anglo-Saxon Goddess 'Hel'. There is also the possibility that the name derives from the Norse 'The Farm of Helgi'.

In medieval times it seems that the area between Hellifield and Long Preston was hunted by wolves, so men were employed to guide travellers between the two settlements. Livestock suffered until the extinction of the grey wolf in the 16th century.

In the mid-19th century, the village was nothing more than a hamlet. The local workforce mainly concentrated within agriculture and associated trades.

Cotton weaving did take place in the village and several weaving sheds were constructed in the area.

Hellifield owes much of its history to the growth of the railways in the mid to late 19th century which dramatically changed the growth and population changes of the small hamlet.

The original railway station was located on Haw Lane, but in 1880 a new station replaced the old one. This coincided with the opening of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company's new line from Blackburn to Hellifield. This line and the Midland Railway's Settle to Carlisle Railway (opened 1876), turned Hellifield into a major passenger and freight interchange. Consequently many houses and streets were built in the early 20th century to house a large railway population.

Regular passenger services to Blackburn were cut in 1962, and the Motive Power Depot closed in 1963. New houses were constructed on top of previous railway land and the auction mart.

Today, Hellifield Station retains most of its Victorian features and is Grade II listed. More information on the station can be found here Hellifield Railway Station

Hellifield was historically a township in the ancient parish of Long Preston in the West Riding of Yorkshire. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. Hellifield was transferred to the new county of North Yorkshire in 1974. In 2014 the small former civil parishes of Nappa and Swinden were added to the parish.

 

« prev top next »
Page
Menu
News
Page
Menu
News

Hellifield Weather

 


Flashes Leisure Development Update
The planning application for the Leisure Development is scheduled to be on the agenda at Craven Districts Planning Committee held on Monday 20th November 2017 at the council's offices at Belle Vue Mills, Skipton. There will be an opportuinity for applicants, agents, objectors and the Parish Council to address the planning committee prior to consideration of the application at the meeting. 
If you wish to attend the meeting you must contact the Committee Clerk by letter or telephone (01756 706235) prior to the meeting.
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

Page
Menu
News
Copyright © 2011-2015 --- Hellifield Parish Council | Powered by CMSimple | Login

Login to Hellifield Parish Council webmail